‘Tis the season to fill those Santa sacks with gifts for all your friends and family. Here at WildChina, we love to get into the holiday spirit and celebrate Christmas with our team. (Our Director of Education Journeys even borrows Santa’s big red coat for the occasion!) Now we’re looking to spread the Yuletide joy beyond our office. If you’re looking for the perfect gift for the Sinophile in your life, we’ve compiled a short-list of our favorite finds.
10. Everyone at WildChina loves sitting down with a steaming cup of Pu’er tea in the afternoon and teas from Jalam Tea Company are always our top pick. Jalam concentrates on sourcing the finest of Yunnan’s teas and with each tea they offer, they not only delve into the teas themselves; but present the adventure and tale of the journey to source it.
9. Award-winning writer and WildChina culinary expert, Fuchsia Dunlop has just published her 5th book Land of Fish and Rice. We have our finger’s crossed that Santa will leave a copy under our tree. Featuring stunning food photography, appetizing recipes, and curious tidbits from life in Jiangnan, Land of Fish and Rice is food writing at its finest.
8. Lost and Found, a Beijing based homeware store, have these super cute thermos mugs in stock and they are perfect for snuggling up by the fire with on a winter’s day. Lost and Found also sells both new and vintage furniture and can deliver all over the world. All of their new furniture products are designed and built by them in the city of Beijing and can be custom-made just for you.
7. Made in Mongolia produces just about the best slipper to pitter-patter around the house in. MIM has a beautiful range of handcrafted fair-trade felt products which use 100% natural Mongolian wool. Their ethically produced fashion and home accessories combine the beauty of contemporary design with the timeless qualities of traditional Mongolian felting and embroidery.
6. UCCA is one of our favorite places to soak in some art and culture in Beijing and their online gift store has one of the best collections of China design. From funky t-shirts to great posters, any art lover would be over the moon to have a unique treasure from here.
5. John Pomfret’s recently published book, The Beautiful Country and the Middle Kingdom, is chock full of interesting tales about the relationship between China and the United States. It is definitely a gift we would love to unwrap. We know this book will be a great reference for years.
4. We have our eyes on a big trip to Tibet this year and what better way to travel than in an intimate group of like-minded adventurers. Our Soul of Tibet Small Group Tour, limited to 12 people or less, will take you past softly rolling mountains, freshwater lakes, and gilded temples to the very heart of this incredible region.
3. The holidays are not all about self-indulgence and here at WildChina we like to give back. This year we were honored to support Roundabout, China with our Beshan Gai Artisan Bazaar and we are looking forward to working with many new charities in 2017. Embody the spirit of Christmas and treat your loved one to the gift of a donation in their name to one of your own favorite charities.
2. As Beijing’s cold winter sets in, high-quality scarves rank high on our most-wanted list. Norlha Textiles designs, produces and sells timeless yak textiles made by nomads on the Tibetan Plateau and is committed to working in a socially responsible way: combining a highly skilled workforce with a rare raw material (yak wool) to make world-class products. Norlha also helps to advance the livelihood of local people through stable, well-paid employment.
1. Our founder and CEO, Mei Zhang, published her first book in 2016. One part travelogue and one part recipe book this is a gift that is sure to delight the China obsessed person in your life. Travels through Dali: with a leg of ham will make you yearn for a taste of Dali. For an added bonus for that special someone, consider our Travels through Dali: with a leg of ham Tour and relive Mei’s adventure.
Interested in making your last-minute gift the gift of a lifetime? Contact one our experienced travel designers and start customizing your perfect China trip