Follow along Golden Whip Stream past Sand Sword Gully, Purple Grass Pool, and Meeting Across a Thousand Miles • Soak in the astounding views at Yellow Stone Village
China's Avatar Mountains
Walk amidst the otherworldly sandstone pillars that inspired the mythical world of Pandora in James Cameron's Avatar. These remarkable stone columns stand in proud defiance of gravity as they thrust up into the sky, towering over forests, canyons, and caves.
About This Trip
Explore the celestial landscape of Wulingyuan Scenic Area, where a forest of natural stone skyscrapers forms an ancient cityscape. This UNESCO World Heritage Site's biggest draw is Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, home to the towering sandstone pillars that inspired the mythical world of Pandora in James Cameron's Avatar. On a cloudy day, these pillars appear to be floating in the sky. South of Wulingyuan lies Tianmen ("Heaven's Gate") Mountain, where a gravity-defying glass walkway will make you feel as if you are walking in the sky. China's Avatar mountains are truly a magical sight to behold.
What we love
- Standing amidst unreal, gravity-defying landscapes, where soaring mountains and sandstone pillars pierce the sky
- Floating on air upon a cliff side glass walkway
- Plunging down the side of an impossibly high stone pillar in an outdoor elevator
Day 1 | 2
Visit Tianzi ("Son of Heaven") Mountain, famous for its leafy alpine trees • Take a shuttle bus to Yuanjiajie, a naturally formed platform mountain • Admire the First Bridge of the World, a natural rock bridge formed by the elements • Stand in awe in front of the defiant Southern Sky Column, officially renamed "Avatar Hallelujah Mountain" • Ride down in the Hundred Dragon Elevator, claimed to be the highest outdoor elevator in the world
Admire freshwater Baofeng Lake and its lush surroundings • Ride on the world's longest cableway to the summit of Tianmen ("Heaven's Gate") Mountain • Put on a brave face as you walk along Tianmen Mountain's famous glass skywalk, which clings to a sheer cliff face
- All overland transfers with private chauffeur and in-transport refreshments
- All admission fees and activity expenses, as noted in the itinerary
- All meals as noted in the itinerary with complimentary drinking water
- All services of WildChina English-speaking guide(s)
- All accommodations, based on double-occupancy and including breakfast, service charge, and government tax
- Private chauffeur service to and from airport at start and end of your trip
What's Not Included:
- International & domestic flights and relevant taxes
- Chinese tourist visa, which is required for most foreign passport holders
- Travel, health and trip cancellation insurance
- Meals apart from those included in the itinerary and alcohol
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Excursions and activities not included in the itinerary
- Discretionary gratuities for guides and chauffeurs
Get Started - China's Avatar Mountains
You're getting closer to your dream China adventure! Fill out this form so our travel designers can start helping you plan your trip.
Thank you for your inquiry. One of our Travel Designers will be in touch with you shortly.